Wireless Internet Access
Wireless Internet access is available on the first and second floors of the Library of Virginia. Electrical outlets for plugging in laptops are available at the study tables in the second floor Reading Rooms. Printing is available when using the Library's public computer workstations and wireless printing is available on personal laptops.
If you are bringing in your own laptop and wish to use our Internet connection you will need:
- To agree to abide by the Library's Internet Access Policy.
- A WiFi-compliant 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11a, or 802.11n wireless Ethernet device installed in your laptop or a laptop with built-in WiFi capability.
- Compatible headphones if you plan to use audio files.
Settings - Basic
To access the network settings, click the "Network settings" link. Or launch the Settings app and navigate to "Network & Internet". In the Wi-Fi section, you'll find all the wireless networks available to you (this is new to Windows 10), which is the same list you see in the system tray. Select the wireless network you wish to use and click connect.
In the Control Panel, go to the Network and Sharing Center and click Manage Wireless Networks. Click Add and click Manually create a network profile. Manually add the wireless settings for the network that you want to connect to (Network name, Security type, Encryption type, and Security key/passphrase)
- Click Start, and then click Connect to.
- In the Show list, click Wireless.
- Click the wireless network to which you want to connect, and then click Connect.
(Support for Windows Vista will end in March 2017.)
Windows XP has reached end of life status and is no longer supported.
Mac OSX Network Settings
- Select Apple Menu --> System Preferences --> Network button;
- Turn Airport ON; (usually that is the only configuration)
- Select Advance; (If needed)
- Select TCP/IP tab and configure Using DHCP;
- Leave Domain Name Servers and Search Domains blank;
Settings - Advanced
For advanced settings we recommend referring to your manufacturer's troubleshooting and technical information. Several links are below for your convenience.
Windows 10 - http://windows.microsoft.com/
Windows 7 - http://windows.microsoft.com/
Windows Vista - http://windows.microsoft.com/
Windows XP - support.microsoft.com
Mac - www.apple.com/support/
Limitations and Disclaimers
Please note that the Library cannot assist you with your laptop, card, configuration or troubleshooting. The Library cannot accept the liability of handling your equipment.
- Like most public wireless networks, the Library network is not secure, therefore, appropriate precautions should be taken.
- Library staff cannot provide technical assistance and no guarantee can be provided that you will be able to make a wireless connection.
- The Library assumes no responsibility for the safety of equipment, or for laptop configurations, security, or loss of data files resulting from connection to the Library's network.