Wireless Internet Access
Wireless Internet access is available on the first and second floors of the Library of Virginia. Electrical outlets for plugging in laptops are available at the study tables in the second floor Reading Rooms. Printing is not available using the Library's wireless connection. Printing is available only when using the Library's public computer workstations.
If you are bringing in your own laptop and wish to use our Internet connection you will need:
- To agree to abide by the Library's Internet Access Policy.
- A WiFi-compliant 802.11b or 802.11g wireless Ethernet device installed in your laptop or a laptop with built-in WiFi capability.
- Compatible headphones if you plan to use audio files.
Settings - Basic
- Click Start, and then click Connect to.
- In the Show list, click Wireless.
- Click the wireless network to which you want to connect, and then click Connect.
- Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
- Control Panel window will appear. Double click on Network Connections.
- Network Connections window will appear. Right click your Wireless Network Connection and click View Available Wireless Networks.
- Wireless Network Connection window will appear. Select the network you wish to connect and click Connect.
Mac OSX Network Settings
- Select Apple Menu --> System Preferences --> Network button;
- Turn Airport ON; (usually that is the only configuration)
- Select Advance; (If needed)
- Select TCP/IP tab and configure Using DHCP;
- Leave Domain Name Servers and Search Domains blank;
Settings - Advanced
For advanced settings we recommend referring to your manufacturer's troubleshooting and technical information. Several links are below for your convenience.
Windows Vista - http://windows.microsoft.com/
Windows XP - support.microsoft.com
Mac - www.apple.com/support/
Limitations and Disclaimers
Please note that the Library cannot assist you with your laptop, card, configuration or troubleshooting. The Library cannot accept the liability of handling your equipment.
- Like most public wireless networks, the Library network is not secure, therefore, appropriate precautions should be taken.
- Library staff cannot provide technical assistance and no guarantee can be provided that you will be able to make a wireless connection.
- The Library assumes no responsibility for the safety of equipment, or for laptop configurations, security, or loss of data files resulting from connection to the Library's network.