The 2015 UCI Road World Championships are coming to Richmond, September 19-27. The courses will pass in front of the Library and will affect Library access. The Library’s lobby, exhibition and the Virginia Shop will be open; the reading rooms and parking deck will be closed from September 21 through 25 and the entire Library will be closed on September 26. Please check our online calendar and for more details.

[search options]

Arlington County

Formation Date: 1920
Formed From: Fairfax County
Previous Names: Alexandria County, Virginia from 1789 to 1801, Alexandria County, District of Columbia from 1801 to 1846, Alexandria County, Virginia from 1846 to 1920

Image depicting location of Arlington County
Arlington County was originally named Alexandria County. It was formed from a part of Fairfax County that was ceded to the U.S. government in 1789 but was returned to Virginia in 1846. The county name was changed in 1920 to Arlington, the name of the Custis family mansion (former home of Robert E. Lee), which is located in the county. Its area is 25 square miles, and the county seat is Arlington. The population is 189,453 according to the 2000 census.

Original Records at The Library of Virginia: Yes