LVA Website   Catalog [search options]

Culpeper County

Formation Date: 1749
Formed From: Orange County

Image depicting location of Culpeper County
Culpeper County probably was name for Catherine Culpeper, or for her mother, Margaret Lady Culpeper, or for Thomas Culpeper, second baron Culpeper of Thoresway, governor of Virginia from 1677 to 1683, or for their family, which long held proprietary right in the Northern Neck. It was formed from Orange County in 1749. Its area is 389 square miles, and the county seat is Culpeper. The population is 34,262 according to the 2000 census.

Original Records at The Library of Virginia: Yes