Bristol, City of
City Incorporated: 1890
Bristol, on the Tennessee-Virginia border in Washington County, originally was called Goodson, for Samuel Goodson, its founder. Goodson was established in 1850 and incorporated as a town in 1856. In 1852 the town of Bristol, Tennessee, was laid out contiguous to Goodson. In 1890, Goodson was incorporated as a city, and its name was changed to Bristol, for its Tennessee neighbor. Today the two cities have separate governments but share a public library and a local planning commission. The population is 17,367 according to the 2000 census.
Original Records at The Library of Virginia: Yes