The 2015 UCI Road World Championships are coming to Richmond, September 19-27. The courses will pass in front of the Library and will affect Library access. The Library’s lobby, exhibition, and the Virginia Shop will be open; the reading rooms and parking deck will be closed from September 21 through 25 and the entire Library will be closed on September 26. Please check our online calendar and http://richmond2015.com/ for more details.
CloseOpen

[search options]

Petersburg, City of

Established: 1748
Town Incorporated: 1784
City Incorporated: 1850 Parts of Prince George and Dinwiddie Counties were added in 1972

Image depicting location of Petersburg, City of
Petersburg was formed from parts of Dinwiddie, Prince George, and Chesterfield counties. A garrison and fur trading post called Fort Henry was established in 1645 on the site of the Indian village of Appamattuck. The present name, suggested in 1733 by William Byrd II, honors Peter Jones, Byrd's companion on expeditions into the Virginia backcountry. Petersburg was established in 1748 and incorporated as a town in 1784. In the latter year the towns of Blandford, Pocahontas, and Ravenscroft were added to Petersburg. It was incorporated as a city in 1850. Petersburg was enlarged by annexation from both Prince George and Dinwiddie counties in 1972. The population is 33,740 according to the 2000 census.

Original Records at The Library of Virginia: Yes