Roanoke, City of
Town Incorporated: 1874
City Incorporated: 1884
Previous Names: Big Lick
The City of Roanoke, in Roanoke County, was first known as Big Lick because of salt deposits found in the vicinity. The town of Big Lick was established in 1852 and was incorporated in 1874. Its name was changed to Roanoke in 1882, and it became a city in 1884. Roanoke was enlarged by annexation from Roanoke County in 1976. Its area is 43 square miles. The population is 94,911 according to the 2000 census.
Original Records at The Library of Virginia: Yes