South Boston, City of
Town Incorporated: 1884
City Incorporated: 1960
South Boston, in Halifax County, was named for Boston, Massachusetts. The town originally was located on the south side of the Dan River and called Boyd's Ferry. It was established in 1796 but was destroyed by floods shortly thereafter. Reestablished on the north side of the Dan River, it was incorporated as a town in 1884 and as a city by court order in 1960. In 1995, South Boston reverted to town status within Halifax County. Its area is 5.09 square miles. The population is 6,997 according to the 1990 census.
Original Records at The Library of Virginia: No