[search options]

Staunton, City of

Established: 1761
Town Incorporated: 1801
City Incorporated: 1871

Image depicting location of Staunton, City of
The City of Staunton, in Augusta County, was named, according to tradition, for Rebecca Staunton, wife of Sir William Gooch, lieutenant governor of Virginia from 1727 to 1749. Staunton was laid out in 1748 at the site of the Augusta County courthouse and was established as a town in 1761. It was incorporated as a town in 1801 and as a city in 1871. Its area is 20 square miles. The population is 23,853 according to the 2000 census.

Original Records at The Library of Virginia: Yes