LVA Website   Catalog [search options]

Winchester, City of

Established: 1752
Town Incorporated: 1779
City Incorporated: 1874

Image depicting location of Winchester, City of
The City of Winchester, in Frederick County, was first known as Opequon, then as Frederick's Town (or Fredericktown), and, finally, upon establishment as a town in 1752, as Winchester. According to tradition, one of the town's founders, James Wood, named the town in honor of his birthplace in England. Winchester was incorporated as a town in 1779 and as a city in 1874. It was enlarged by annexation from Frederick County in 1970. Its area is 9 square miles. The population is 23,585 according to the 2000 census.

Original Records at The Library of Virginia: Yes