[search options]

Maps and Formation Information for Accomack through Augusta Counties


Accomack CountyAccomack County was named for the Accomac Indians, who lived on the eastern Shore at the time of the first English settlement in Virginia. One of the original eight shires established in 1634, Accomac County (spelled without a k) became Northampton County in 1643. The present country was formed from Northampton about 1663. In 1940 the General Assembly adopted the county's present spelling.  Its area is 476 square miles, and the county seat is the town of Accomac. [Back]

Albemarle CountyAlbemarle County was named for William Anne Keppel, second earl of Albemarle and governor of the Virginia colony from 1737 to 1754. It was formed from Goochland County in 1744, and part of Louisa County and certain islands in the Fluvanna River, now called the James, were added in 1761 and 1838. It area is 740 square miles, and the county seat is Charlottesville. [Back]


Alexandria CountyAlexandria County (extinct) was named for the town of Alexandria.  It was formed from a portion of Fairfax County that had been ceded by Virginia in 1789 to the federal government for use as the site of the national capital.  In 1801, the area officially became part of the District of Columbia, although Congress named it Alexandria County.  The county was returned to Virginia in 1846, and in 1847 the General Assembly extended the commonwealth's jurisdiction over the locality.  In 1920, the county name was changed to Arlington County. [Back]


Alleghany CountyAlleghany County was named for the Allegheny Mountains, although it has a variant spelling. It was formed from Bath, Botetourt, and Monroe (West Virginia) Counties in 1822, and additional parts of Bath (1823) and Monroe (1843) were added. It area is 444 square miles, and the county seat is Covington. The former independent city of Clifton Forge reverted to the county in 2001. [Back]


Amelia CountyAmelia County was named for Amelia Sophia Eleanora, daughter of George II of England.  It was formed from Prince George and Brunswick Counties in 1734.  Its area is 366 square miles and the county seat is Amelia.  [Back]


Amherst CountyAmherst County was named for Major Jeffery Amherst, British commander in North America during the French and Indian War and governor of Virginia from 1759 to 1768.  It was formed from Albemarle County in 1761.  Its area is 470 square miles, and the county seat is Amherst.  [Back]


Appomattox CountyAppomattox County was named for the Appomattox River, which rises in the county.  The name was borne earlier by an Indian tribe living near the mouth of the river.  The county was formed from parts of Buckingham, Prince Edward, Charlotte and Campbell Counties in 1845, and another part of Campbell was added in 1858.  Its area is 345 square miles, and the county seat is Appomattox.  [Back]


ArlingtonArlington County was originally named Alexandria County.  It was formed from a part of Fairfax County that was ceded to the U.S. government in 1789 but was returned to Virginia in 1846.  The county name was changed in 1920 to Arlington, the name of the Custis family mansion (former home of Robert E. Lee), which is located in the county.  Its area is 25 square miles, and the county seat is Arlington. [Back]


Augusta CountyAugusta County was named in honor of Augusta of Saxe-Gotha, wife of Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, and mother of George III.  It was formed from Orange County in 1738, but county government was not established there until 1745.  Its area is 968 square miles, and the county seat is Staunton. [Back]