LVA Website   Catalog [search options]

Maps and Formation Information for Bath through Buckingham Counties


Bath CountyBath County was given its name either for the many mineral springs found in the county or for the town of Bath in England.  It was formed from Augusta, Botetourt and Greenbrier (West Virginia) Counties in 1790.  Its area is 540 square miles, and the county seat is Warm Springs.  [Back]

Bedford CountyBedford County was probably named for John Russell, fourth duke of Bedford, who, as secretary for state for the southern department from 1748 to 1751, had general supervision of colonial affairs.  It was formed from Lunenburg County in 1753.  Parts of Albemarle County were added  in 1754, and an additional part of Lunenburg County was added later.  Its area is 746 square miles, and the county seat is Bedford.  [Back]


Bland CountyBland County is said to have been named for Richard Bland, a leader of colonial Virginia's resistance to Great Britain in the 1760s and 1770s.  It was formed from Giles, Wythe, and Tazewell Counties in 1861, and another part of Giles was added in 1900.  Its area is 369 square miles, and the county seat is Bland.  [Back]


Botetourt CountyBotetourt County was named for Norborne Berkeley, baron de Botetourt, the royal governor of Virginia from 1768 to 1770.  It was formed from Augusta County in 1769, and part of Rockbridge County was added in 1785.  Its area is 549 square miles, and the county seat is Fincastle.  [Back]


Brunswick CountyBrunswick County was named for the duchy of Brunswick-Lüneburg, one of the German possessions of George I.  It was formed in 1720 from Prince George County, but county government was not organized until 1732.  In the latter year, Brunswick County was enlarged by the addition of parts of Surry and Isle of Wight Counties.  Its area is 579 square miles, and the county seat is Lawrenceville. [Back]


Buchanan CountyBuchanan County was named for the United States president James Buchanan and was formed from Tazewell and Russell Counties in 1858.  Its area is 508 square miles, and the county seat is Grundy.  [Back]


Buckingham CountyBuckingham County was named for either the English county or for the duke of Buckingham.  Some sources say that the county's namesake is Archibald Cary's tract of land called Buckingham, on what was then Willis's Creek.  It was formed from Albemarle County in 1761.  Its area is 582 square miles, and the county seat is Buckingham.  [Back]