[search options]

Maps and Formation Information for Cities of Radford though Winchester


City of RadfordThe City of Radford, in Montgomery County, was at different times known as Lovely Mount, English Ferry, Ingles's Ferry, Central Depot, and Central City.  The town of Central City was established in 1885 and incorporated in 1887.  Its name was changed to Radford in 1890 to honor John Blair Radford, a prominent local citizen, and it was incorporated as a city in 1892.  Its area is 10 square miles.  [Back]
 

City of RichmondThe City of Richmond is located between Henrico and Chesterfield Counties.  It was named by William Byrd II, who with the help of William Mayo laid out the town in 1737.  The name probably came from the English borough of Richmond upon Thames.  Richmond was established in 1742 and in 1779 was designated the capitol of Virginia effective April 1780.  Incorporated as a town in 1782 and incorporated as a city in 1842, it was the capital of the Confederate States of America from 1861 to 1865.  Richmond was enlarged by several annexations, including Manchester/South Richmond (1910), Barton Heights, Fairmount, and Highland Park (1914).  A further annexation form Chesterfield County occurred in 1970. Richmond's area is 60 square miles.  [Back]


City of RoanokeThe City of Roanoke, in Roanoke County, was first known as Big Lick because of salt deposits found in the vicinity.  The town of Big Lick was established in 1852 and was incorporated in 1874.  Its name was changed to Roanoke in 1882, and it became a city in 1884.  Roanoke was enlarged by annexation from Roanoke County in 1976.  Its area is 43 square miles.  [Back]


City of SalemThe City of Salem, in Roanoke County, was laid out in 1802 on land owned by James Simpson.  The town is said to have been named by a member of the Bryan family, of Salem, New Jersey.  The General Assembly established Salem in 1806 and incorporated it as a town in 1836.  Salem was incorporated as a city by court order in 1968.  Its area is 15 square miles. [Back]


City of South BostonSouth Boston, in Halifax County, was named for Boston, Massachusetts.  The town originally was located on the south side of the Dan River and called Boyd's Ferry.  It was established in 1796 but was destroyed by floods shortly thereafter.  Reestablished on the north side of the Dan River, it was incorporated as a town in 1884 and as a city by court order in 1960.  In 1995, South Boston reverted to town status within Halifax County.  Its area is 5.09 square miles.  [Back]


The City of StauntonThe City of Staunton, in Augusta County, was named, according to tradition, for Rebecca Staunton, wife of Sir William Gooch, lieutenant governor of Virginia from 1727 to 1749.  Staunton was laid out in 1748 at the site of the Augusta County courthouse and was established as a town in 1761.  It was incorporated as a town in 1801 and as a city in 1871.  Its area is 20 square miles.  [Back]


City of SuffolkThe City of Suffolk was located in Nansemond County, which is now extinct.  It probably was named for the county of Suffolk in England.  Established in 1742 on the site of John Constant's warehouse, Suffolk was incorporated as a town in 1808 and as a city by court order in 1910.  In 1974 the city was enlarged when it merged with the former county of Nansemond.  Its area is 400 square miles.  [Back]


City of Virginia BeachThe City of Virginia Beach was located in Princess Anne County, which is now extinct.  The oceanside resort was incorporated as a town in 1906 and as a city by an act of the General Assembly in 1952.  It was greatly enlarged in 1963 by consolidation with Princess Anne County, which thereby became extinct.  Its area is 248 square miles.  [Back]


City of WaynesboroThe City of Waynesboro, in Augusta County, was named for Anthony Wayne, an American general during the Revolution.  James Flack and Samuel Estill laid out the town in 1797.  Waynesborough, as it was first known, was established as a town in 1801 and incorporated as a town in 1834.  It was consolidated with Basic City in 1923 and became a city by an act of the General Assembly in 1948.  Its area is 15 square miles. [Back]


City of WilliamsburgThe City of Williamsburg, in James City and York Counties, was established by the General Assembly as Middle Plantation in 1633.  After the capitol building at Jamestown burned in 1698, the assembly decided to move the capital of the colony to Middle Plantation, which was renamed Williamsburg in 1699 in honor of William III.  Williamsburg was established in 1699 and declared a "city Incorporate" in 1722, although its actual status was that of a borough.  It served as the capital of Virginia from 1699 until 1780.  Williamsburg was incorporated as a city in 1884.  Its area is 9 square miles. [Back]


City of WinchesterThe City of Winchester, in Frederick County, was first known as Opequon, then as Frederick's Town (or Fredericktown), and, finally, upon establishment as a town in 1752, as Winchester.  According to tradition, one of the town's founders, James Wood, named the town in honor of his birthplace in England.  Winchester was incorporated as a town in 1779 and as a city in 1874.  It was enlarged by annexation from Frederick County in 1970.  Its area is 9 square miles. [Back]