LVA Website   Catalog [search options]

Maps and Formation Information for Fairfax through Frederick Counties

Fairfax CountyFairfax County was named for Thomas Fairfax, sixth baron Fairfax of Cameron, proprietor of the Northern Neck.  It was formed from Prince William County in 1742.  Its area is 410 square miles, and the county seat is Fairfax.  [Back].

Fauquier CountyFauquier County was named for Francis Fauquier, lieutenant governor of Virginia from 1758 to 1768.  It was formed from Prince William County in 1759, and its area is 651 square miles.  The county seat is Warrenton.  [Back]


Fincastle CountyFincastle County (extinct) was named either for George, Lord Fincastle, Lord Dunmore's son; for John Murray, fourth earl of Dunmore, Viscount Fincastle; or for the town of Fincastle, Virginia, which was established in 1772 and named after Lord Botetourt's home in England.  The county was created from Botetourt County in 1772.  It became extinct in 1776 when it was divided to form Montgomery, Washington, and Kentucky (now the state of Kentucky) Counties.  See Kentucky, Montgomery, and Washington Counties. [Back]


Floyd CountyFloyd County was named for John Floyd, governor of Virginia from 1830 to 1834.   It was formed from Montgomery County in 1831, and part of Franklin County was added in 1873.  Its area is 383 square miles, and the county seat is Floyd.  [Back]


Fluvanna CountyFluvanna County was named after the eighteenth-century term for the upper James River.  The name, meaning river of Anne, was given in honor of Queen Anne of England.  The county was formed from Albemarle County in 1777.  Its area is 282 square miles, and the county seat is Palmyra.  [Back]


Franklin County Franklin County was named for Benjamin Franklin and was formed from Bedford and Henry Counties in 1785.  Its area is 711.5 square miles, and the county seat is Rocky Mount.  [Back]


Frederick County Frederick County was named for Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales and eldest son of George II.  It was formed from Orange County in 1738, but the county government was not organized until 1743.  Part of Augusta County was added later.  Its area is 426 square miles, and the county seat is Winchester. [Back]