[search options]

Maps and Formation Information for Giles through Greensville Counties


Giles CountyGiles County was named for William Branch Giles, United States senator from Virginia, in 1806.  It was formed from Montgomery, Monroe (West Virginia), and Tazewell Counties.  Part of Wythe County was added in 1808, parts of Tazewell County were added in 1826 and 1836, part of Monroe County was added in 1829, parts of Mercer (West Virginia) County were added in 1840-1841, and part of Craig County was added in 1858.  Its area is 363 square miles, and the county seat is Pearisburg.  [Back]

Gloucester CountyGloucester County was probably named for the English county, although it may have been meant to honor Henry, duke of Gloucester, the third son of Charles I.  It was formed from York County in 1651.  Its area is 225 square miles, and the county seat is Gloucester.   [Back]


Goochland CountyGoochland County was named for Sir William Gooch, lieutenant governor of Virginia from 1727 to 1749.  It was formed from Henrico County in 1728.  Its area is 289 square miles, and the county seat is Goochland.  [Back]


Grayson CountyGrayson County was named for William Grayson, a delegate to the Continental Congress from 1784 to 1787 and one of the first two United States senators from Virginia.  It was formed from Wythe County in 1792, and a part of Patrick County was added in 1810.  Its area is 454 square miles, and the county seat is Independence.  [Back]


Greene CountyGreene County was named for Nathanael Greene, American commander of the Army of the South in the Revolutionary War.  It was formed from Orange County in 1838.  Its area is 153 square miles, and the county seat is Stanardsville. [Back]


Greensville County Greensville County was named for either Revolutionary War general Nathanael Greene or for Sir Richard Grenville, leader of the Roanoke Island settlement of 1585.  The county was formed from Brunswick County in 1780.  Part of Brunswick County was added in 1787 and part of Sussex County was added in 1802.  Its area is 300 square miles, and the county seat is Emporia.  [Back]