[search options]

Maps and Formation Information for Nansemond through Nottoway Counties


Nansemond CountyNansemond County (extinct) was named for the Nansemond Indians, who lived in the area in the early seventeenth century.  The word nansemond means fishing point or angle.  When first established in 1637, the county was known as Upper Norfolk, but the name Nansemond was adopted in 1646.  The county seat was Suffolk.  The county became the independent city of Nansemond in July 1972, and on 1 January 1974 Nansemond merged with the city of Suffolk.  The entire area is now known as Suffolk.  See Suffolk. [Back]
 

Nelson CountyNelson County was named for Thomas Nelson, Jr., governor of Virginia from June to November 1781.  It was formed in 1807 from Amherst County.  Its area is 471 square miles, and the county seat is Lovington. [Back]


New Kent CountyNew Kent County was named either for the English county of Kent or for Kent Island, in the upper waters of the Chesapeake Bay.  William Claiborne, a native of Kent who had been driven from Kent Island by Lord Baltimore, was a prominent resident of the New Kent area about 1654 when the county was formed from York County.  Its area is 221 square miles, and the county seat is New Kent.  [Back]


New Norfolk CountyNew Norfolk County (extinct) was named by Charles I and was created from Elizabeth City County in 1636.  It became extinct when it was divided into Upper and Lower Norfolk counties in 1637.  See Nansemond County; Norfolk County. [Back]


Norfolk CountyNorfolk County (extinct) probably was named by Adam Thoroughgood, a local resident, from his native county in England.  It was formed from Lower Norfolk County in 1691.  Norfolk County became extinct in 1963, when it was consolidated with the city of South Norfolk to form the city of Chesapeake.  The county seat was Portsmouth.  See Chesapeake. [Back]


Northampton CountyNorthampton County probably was named for the English county, of which Obedience Robins, a prominent early resident of the Eastern Shore, was a native.  The county, which originally included all of the peninsula south of Maryland and which was one of the eight shires established in 1694, was first called Accomac.  The name was changed by legislative action in 1643.  The area is 357 square miles, and the county seat is Eastville.  [Back]


Northumberland CountyNorthumberland County probably was named for the English county.  It was formed about 1645 from the district of Chickacoan, the early-seventeenth-century name for the region between the Potomac and the Rappahannock rivers.  Its area is 223 square miles, and the county seat is Heathsville. [Back]


Nottoway CountyNottoway County was named for the Nadowa Indian tribe.  The word nadowa, anglicized to nottoway, means snake, or enemy.  The county was formed from Amelia County in 1788.  Its area is 308 square miles, and the county seat is Nottoway.  [Back]