LVA Website   Catalog [search options]

Maps and Formation Information for Orange through Pulaski Counties


Orange CountyOrange County, according to most accounts, was named for William of Orange, the Dutch prince who became William III of England in 1688.  It is more probable, however, that the name honored William IV, prince of Orange-Nassau, who married Anne, eldest daughter of George II, in 1734--the year Orange County was formed from Spotsylvania County.  Its area is 355 square miles, and the county seat is Orange.  [Back]
 

Page CountyPage County was named according to most sources, for John Page, revolutionary patriot, congressman, and governor of Virginia from 1802 to 1805.  It was formed from Rockingham and Shenandoah counties in 1831.  Its area is 316 square miles, and the county seat is Luray.  [Back]


Patrick CountyPatrick County, like Henry County, was named for Patrick Henry.  It was formed from Henry County in 1790.  Its area is 469 square miles, and the county seat is Stuart.  [Back]


Pittsylvania CountyPittsylvania County was named in honor of William Pitt, earl of Chatham, a great English statesman.  It was formed from Halifax County in 1766.  Its area is 1,012 square miles, and the county seat is Chatham.  [Back]


Powhatan CountyPowhatan County was named for the Indian chieftain who ruled the native inhabitants of tidewater Virginia in the early seventeenth century.  It was formed from Cumberland County in 1777, and part of Chesterfield County was added later.  Its area is 272 square miles, and the county seat is Powhatan.  [Back]


Prince Edward CountyPrince Edward County was named in honor of Edward Augustus, a son of Prince Frederick Louis, a grandson of George II, and a younger brother of George III.  The county was formed from Amelia County in 1753.  Its area is 357 square miles, and the county seat is Farmville. [Back]


Prince George CountyPrince George County was named for Prince George of Denmark, husband of Queen Anne of England.  It was formed from Charles City County in 1702.  Its area is 298 square miles, and the county seat is Prince George.  [Back]


Prince William CountyPrince William County was named for William Augustus, duke of Cumberland and third son of George II.  It was formed from Stafford and King George counties in 1730.  The area is 337 square miles, and the county seat is Manassas. [Back]


Princess Anne CountyPrincess Anne County (extinct) was named for Anne, daughter of James II, who became queen of England in 1702.  The county was formed from Lower Norfolk County in 1691 and became extinct in 1963, after its consolidation with the city of Virginia Beach.  The county seat was Princess Anne.  See Virginia Beach. [Back]


Pulaski CountyPulaski County was named for Casimir Pulaski, the Polish patriot who served in the American army during the revolutionary war and who was killed during the siege of Savannah in 1779.  It was formed from Montgomery and Wythe counties in 1839.  Its area is 333 square miles, and the county seat is Pulaski. [Back]