Rules for Conduct in the Library of Virginia
The mission of the Library of Virginia is to serve the research and information needs of Virginia’s state agencies, government, and the general public. The Library promotes an appreciation of reading and the written word, the value of history and culture, and the importance of research.
Visitors not engaged in activities associated with the use of a library shall be required to leave the building. Activities associated with the use of a library include reading, studying, researching, or otherwise making use of library materials, services, programs, or resources.
The Library of Virginia requires that all visitors NOT:
- Engage in any behavior that is disruptive to Library use.
- Engage in any illegal activity or behavior.
- Possess or use alcohol or illegal drugs, or be under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs.
- Consume or display food or beverage on the second floor. This is permitted only in designated areas of the lobby and on the outside terrace on the ground floor.
- Bring in more than two bags. No bags may exceed 16”x16”x20”. No large plastic bags are allowed. All bags may be searched by security staff.
- Leave personal items unattended.
- Enter without shoes or shirt or remove same while in the Library.
- Sell or solicit.
- Misuse the restrooms: no bathing, shaving, changing or washing clothes is allowed.
- Harass (by physically, verbally or sexually abusive behavior) or threaten other Library users or staff.
- Mutilate, deface, destroy or steal library property, or the property of other Library users or employees.
- Smoke or use other forms of tobacco.
- Sleep, sit, or put your head, feet or legs on the tables.
- Gather in such a manner as to inhibit access by other visitors to any Library service, materials, resources, or displays.
- Move tables, chairs or other furniture.
- Talk loudly or make noise that other Library users can hear.
- Use cell phones on the second floor; cell phones must be turned off or set to vibrate mode. Cell phone use is permitted on the first floor.
- Bring in animals, other than service animals.
- Violate the Internet Access Policy regarding use of workstations and wireless computers.
- Use audio/video devices without earphones.
- Leave children unattended by a parent or other adult. Loud or disruptive children and their responsible adult may be asked to leave.
Visitors who fail to observe these rules will be directed to modify their behavior. Failure to comply will result in the loss of library privileges and removal from the building.