Interlibrary Loan (ILL) has two parts. One is borrowing (requesting) library materials or copies from other libraries when the Library of Virginia does not own an item. The other is lending or supplying materials or copies requested by other libraries.
Individuals with a valid Library of Virginia library card may request to borrow on Interlibrary Loan materials not owned by the Library of Virginia. In processing requests, staff will give priority to employees in state, legislative, or judicial agencies in the Commonwealth of Virginia who need work-related material.
Unless the lending library imposes a charge, there is no cost for this service. Individuals may set a limit on the amount they are willing to pay. You may fill out the printable PDF or submit a request online before you visit the Library.
All materials borrowed from other libraries must be picked up at, and returned to, the Library of Virginia. If an item is returned late and there are overdue fines from the lending library, you are responsible for the charges.
Libraries may submit requests for loans or photocopies via OCLC or on an ALA form mailed or faxed to (804) 692-3537.
Books and Microfilm
- Microfilm and microfiche are circulated through ILL only.
- All loans are for 28 days. All materials except overdue items and items on hold for another library may be renewed one time for an additional 28 days.
- There is a 5 volume or 5 reel limit per patron.
- There are no charges for loans.
There are no charges to Virginia libraries for copies.
Charges for out-of-state photocopies are as follows:
$10.00 for the first 1-10 pages; $.50/page thereafter.
Materials which are not lent via interlibrary loan include:
- Periodicals (photocopies are made with exact citation according to the above fee schedule)
- Materials in the Main Reading Rooms
- All books published before 1926
- Printed Virginia local history and genealogy, and regimental histories do not circulate out-of-state. (We do lend microfilmed copies of original deeds, wills, tax records, vital statistics, etc.)
- There are many other items in the collection which are not lent due to age, condition, number of copies, value, and other considerations.