Deputy of Collections & Programs
Ungraded - Senior Management - Deputy
Position Number 00002
Salary Commensurate with Experience
The Library of Virginia is seeking a talented and energetic leader to serve as Deputy of Collections and Programs. Reporting directly to the Librarian/State Archivist of Virginia, this position is a key member of the Librarian's leadership team and acts on behalf of the agency in the absence of the State Librarian. As a member of the leadership team, the successful candidate will play an important role in developing and implementing a vision for a world-class 21st century cultural repository. The successful candidate will provide leadership and foster a work environment with a commitment to collegiality, teamwork, collaboration and alignment with the Library's vision, mission and strategic goals and objectives.
The Library of Virginia is a complex agency with multiple divisions, a multi-million dollar budget, and approximately 200 full and part-time staff. Our growing collection is the most comprehensive resource in the world for the study of Virginia history, culture and government. The Deputy of Collections and Programs will administer three line divisions and coordinate the activities of agency programs and services serving the public in the areas of research, reference, archives, records management, special collections, circulation, collection management, publications, exhibitions, outreach, educational programs, and library development, networking, and consulting.
To be considered for the position the candidate should have:
· Comprehensive knowledge of administrative policies and practices in state and national archives, state and research libraries, museums, and other affiliated educational and cultural institutions.
· Advanced and progressively responsible experience in program management and administration and supervision of professional staff in a library/museum/historical society/university or similar cultural or educational organization; similar experience in budget preparation and management.
· Comprehensive knowledge of budget development and strategic planning.
· Considerable knowledge of collection development; of governmental organizations, operations, and practices; of Virginia history and the organization of Virginia government.
· Ability to build collaborative relationships with the Library's leadership team members, library staff and with partner institutions.
· Excellent communication and collegial collaboration skills are essential.
· Excellent demonstrated leadership skills.
· Knowledge of cataloging and processing of materials and or archival and records management practices.
· A master's degree from an accredited university with a concentration in history, library and information science, museum and archival administration, or related field; Ph.D. preferred.
· Must pass a background check and complete the Statement of Economic Interest for the Commonwealth of Virginia.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may substitute for educational requirements.
The Library of Virginia values diversity in the workforce. Bicultural, bilingual, female, and minority candidates are encouraged to apply. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and a unique opportunity for career enrichment. The Library fosters an open, team-oriented work environment and is seeking individuals who value this approach. To apply, candidates must submit a completed Virginia state employment application form for position #00002. This position will remain open until filled.
Application Instructions: Applications that are e-mailed, faxed or delivered to the agency will not be accepted. You must apply through the Virginia Jobs system at http://jobs.virginia.gov. Computers are available at the Department of Human Resource Management (DHRM) Career Center, public libraries, Virginia Employment Commission offices, and the reading rooms at The Library of Virginia. The Library of Virginia will, if requested, provide reasonable accommodation to candidates for application and/or the interview process. If you have any questions please contact Nancy Epperly at 804-692-3586.
An EEO/AA/ADA Employer